Talk to an agent: (213) 290-9179
Press play below to listen to our audio commercial:

How to Deal with the Los Angeles DMV In Case of DWI Offense

Driving while intoxicated (DWI) and driving under influence (DUI) are the offenses that must be avoided.  Once you violate the laws for this, your license can be suspended and you might have to face imprisonment. As a first time offender, imprisonment can be extended with fines that must be paid.

For this, you will need a lawyer to help you reduce your sentence. If it is second offense, your license can be suspended for two years, imprisonment for up to 1 year, and a charge of fine of $1,800 to $2,800. The license can only be reissued within a year. For third time offense, fines can accumulate for around $1,800 up to $18,000 with 3 years license suspension and 1 year imprisonment.

Due to DWI and DUI violations, you might face complications for your insurance policy. This could lead to cancellation of your policy or could be the cause of higher premium rates. Unless you manage to get SR22 certificate form an insurer who can provide it and submit it to Los Angeles DMV to enable you to retrieve your license.

This insurance type is provided by only a few insurance companies. You might also need the help of National Association of Insurance Commissioners or NAIC. Through NAIC, you can get a list of insurance providers that offer SR 22 form for DWI offense. Getting back your driving privileges will not cost you a huge sum as you will be charged for around $250 only for its issuance.

If you have SR 22 insurance, it is important to carry it with you at all times. It is also advisable not to terminate this policy within 3 years of issuance and not to change carriers without notifying your organization and the DMV.

Take driving courses. There are even online courses being offered now to make it more convenient. This only takes a few hours and you can get your safety courses certificate. This can help you lower you premium cost and showcase yourself as a responsible driver. In you were recently sentenced with imprisonment or community service due to violations, a letter of conduct and from the head of the community service centre are needed. This will be the proof that you have been responsible while on the program.

In cases where it is your spouse who has been convicted of DWI or DUI offense, it is recommended to consult your insurance brokers immediately. They will help you out with the right procedures. You can also try to remove your spouse’s name from your family plan of car insurance to reduce your car insurance premium cost. You can also get your spouse with a different car insurance policy like SR22.

As long as the DWI conviction affect your record, it is good to travel through public transport. Since the DWI issue will be of prime importance for at least for 7 years, you can get a full time driver every time your spouse wants to take the car out.

Once incriminated wit DUI violations, there are many law firms in Los Angeles that specialize in handling DWI and DUI cases that you can consult.

Handling DWI conviction is not easy for a family since it will require a lot of legal procedures and responsibility to get through it. Enter your ZIP code to find out which companies offer SR22 insurance as required by Los Angeles DMV.